Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bottega Veneta or Vogue, learn how to translate! or Just have less.

Bottega Veneta Knot Clutch. I don't have a preference, I'll take whatever.


I like Bottega Veneta's Tomas Maier.  His profile in one of the latest New Yorker issues is extremely well written, he seems like a very straightforward kind of guy.


Listen to what he says about the It bag.


"The It Bag is a totally marketed bullshit crap. You make a bag, you put all the components in it that you think could work, you send it out to a couple of celebrities, you get the paparazzi to shoot just when they walk out of their house. You sell that to the cheap tabloids, and you say in a magazine that there's a waiting list. And you run an ad campaign at the same time. I don't believe that's how you make something that's lasting — that becomes iconic as a design."



How can you not like him... because we all know the truth but nobody says it.


I was reading/researching the last issue of Vogue Collections. At the Bottega Veneta page, we have a quote from Tomas Maier. 


Quote from the magazine:
""I don't like making clothes for real life events." said designer Tomas Maier. "I like real life". And so, for his S/S 2011 collection he focuses on..."


Wait, what??? What does this mean? I reread the sentence and it still doesn't make sense. He seemed pretty articulate in The New Yorker. He couldn't have possibly said that. It makes no sense.


Minutes later, I decide to read the french paragraph. It starts like this:
"Je n'aime pas creer pour le tapis rouge. J'aime la vraie vie."
Ok, even somebody that is not fluent in French would know that "tapis rouge" means "red carpet". That's all you need to know to understand the correct meaning of the sentence that was lost in the English translation. 
"I don't like making clothes for the red carpet. I like real life" is a little bit different from "I don't like making clothes for real life events. I like real life."
I just wonder, such a prestigious magazine as Vogue can't afford a better translator. Are they using google translate too?
I mean, really, do I have to do everybody's work?


The New Yorker profile ends like this.


"He's also anti-materialism: "I'm not somebody who likes to possess. I'm not the person who has six hundred suits. I want to have two suits. Actually, I want to have one suit, and I replace it." He applies that feeling to how people should shop, insisting that Bottega's goods are not beyond the reach of the middle class, which has been trained to want too many things. "Anyone, he said, could afford one $550 hand-painted cashmere scarf,"  "'Just have less,'" he said.""



                 www.newyorker.com

1 comment: